Many network operators are deploying software-defined networking (SDN) and network functions virtualization (NFV) technologies as they transition to the adaptive, self-healing and self-optimizing network of the future. While automating network configuration and service activation affords compelling benefits, including reduced time to revenue, higher return on capital investments, and improved operating efficiency, it also creates new management and operational challenges:
- These new technologies are being deployed in existing networks, which means automation solutions must support both legacy and SDN-enabled infrastructure.
- While vendor or domain-specific SDN controllers automate network configuration changes, many lack end-to-end visibility as well as the intelligence to govern what changes can and should be made.
- When network changes are made programmatically with no human intervention, operators are often left blind when problems occur.
- Conventional NMS tools that periodically capture device metrics and configuration data provide no visibility into control plane events that occur between collections.
The Blue Planet Route Optimization and Assurance (ROA) software delivers an independent, vendor-agnostic solution to address these challenges in both green- and brown-field IP/MPLS deployments. By capturing all IGP/BGP routing events, traffic flows, and the performance of key services, it creates models that are used to calculate future states based on various conditions and business policies. A powerful path computation and optimization engine gives operators accurate impact assessments of application requests for network resources and the best way to provision them. If approved, the changes can be configured automatically when integrated with an SDN controller or service orchestrator like Blue Planet Multi-Domain Service Orchestration (MDSO). Real-time telemetry provides immediate, closed-loop feedback with no visibility gaps.
- Real-time IP/MPLS control plane telemetry captures all changes as they happen
- Current and historical traffic matrices enable predictive modeling
- Impact assessment of changes ensures successful automation outcomes
- Constraint-based path computation and optimization assure optimum service provisioning
- REST APIs allow integration with SDN controllers and orchestrators for service automation
- Changes may be fully automated or require operator review and approval