Tampnet Delivers New Web-Scale Connectivity Services Powered by Ciena and Lambda Networks
18 Apr 2016
/ HANOVER, Md. and DUBAI, UAE
Tampnet is enhancing its subsea and terrestrial network with Ciena® (NYSE: CIEN) and Lambda Networksla, creating the shortest, ultra-low-latency route across the North Sea. Tampnet’s flexible, multi-terabit network will offer service providers and multinational organisations unique, high-capacity connectivity; ideal for financial trading and to support growing web-scale demands, high-bandwidth applications as well as connectivity between office locations and data centres.
- Tampnet’s network ensures high-capacity, low-latency connectivity and broadband services for remote offshore assets and operations across the North Sea. This expansion will provide an alternative, gateway between strategic Points of Presence (PoPs) in London, Leeds and Aberdeen in the UK to Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavanger and Bergen in Norway, as well as Stockholm, Sweden.
- Designed for fast and simple rerouting of ultra-low-latency services, this robust, multi-terabit network is strengthened with Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, equipped with WaveLogic Photonics technology and Colourless, Directionless, and Contentionless (CDC) ROADM configurations, making it completely flexible.
- Another key business benefit of this deployment is that Tampnet can ensure faster service turn-up and complete visibility of network performance with Ciena’s unified management capability. GeoMesh unifies Tampnet’s submarine and terrestrial networks and ensures survivability, even in the case of multiple network faults.
- Lambda Networks, a Ciena BizConnect partner, coordinated the design and delivery of Tampnet’s network enhancement.
- “Increases in mobile data, cloud-based applications and data centre interconnections are causing significant data traffic growth in Europe. With Ciena supporting our network upgrade we can increase capacity to accommodate these demands and simplify connectivity with a direct link that removes many administrative, operational and political challenges associated with other European data transit routes.”
- Arnt Erling Skavdal, Chief Technology Officer at Tampnet
- “With Ciena’s solutions and support we can design, deliver and manage advanced networks that deliver both technological and strategic business value. Tampnet’s enhanced network will allow it to streamline operations and enable the speed and superior performance international customers need.”- Johan Henæs, CEO at Lambda Networks
- “As one of the only providers able to facilitate high-capacity services from the UK to Scandinavia, Tampnet is in a unique position to provide a direct, ultra-low-latency route. Now with flexible and competitive optical connectivity it can also can ensure faster service turn-up, diversity and boost performance. Critically, this network enables Tampnet to venture into new markets to discover new and unique opportunities.”
- Keri Gilder, Vice President and General Manager, EMEA at Ciena
- Ciena will be at SubOptic (Booth # 29 – 32) April 18-22, 2016 in Dubai, UAE.
- Steve Alexander, Ciena CTO, is participating in the "SDN: Still Dumb Networks?" session TH2B on Thursday, April 21 from 2:00 – 3.30pm GST.
Tampnet operates the largest offshore high capacity communication network in the world and serves more than 240 O&G platforms, Floating Production Storage and Offloading units (FPSOs) and exploration rigs on the Danish, Norwegian and the UK continental shelves of the North Sea as well as in the GoM. In total, Tampnet owns and operates a redundant offshore infrastructure network based on 2,500km of subsea fiber optic cable in the North Sea, complemented with a large number of high-capacity, carrier grade radio links and 4G base stations.
Tampnet is since 2012 owned by the EQT Infrastructure I and EQT Infrastructure II funds (“EQT Infrastructure”). EQT Infrastructure is part of EQT, the leading private equity group in Northern Europe with over EUR 22 billion in raised capital. EQT Infrastructure has extensive experience from both the communication and O&G sectors, and sees strong growth and strategic development potential for Tampnet.
About Lambda Networks
Lambda Networks delivers optical systems, components and services to customers in the Nordic region.
Lambda has a broad portfolio of systems for all types of optical networks, and specialize in WDM and fiber analysis. They can help with everything from the specification, analysis and design, to implementation, training, service and support. For more information, visit: www.lambda.net.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 9, 2016. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.