Ciena Debuts New Blue Planet Software, Reinventing Network Management for Customers
Blue Planet MCP integrates network and service management, software-based control and online planning to drive service agility and operational efficiencies
09 Feb 2017 / HANOVER, Md.
Ciena® (NYSE: CIEN) is introducing Blue Planet Manage, Control and Plan (MCP), a new software that reinvents the traditionally fragmented approach to network operations by unifying network and service management and planning. By providing customers real-time software control and advanced visualization, Blue Planet MCP enables network operators to drive service agility across Ciena’s packet and packet optical portfolios.
Built on Blue Planet’s extensible micro-services-based architecture, Blue Planet MCP supports Ciena’s efforts to drive network operators’ transformation to more intelligent and automated networks. Additionally, with its open interfaces, Blue Planet MCP easily integrates into operators’ business processes, paving the way for more programmable, IT-centric operations.
- Based on open source components and open software development techniques, Ciena’s Blue Planet MCP delivers a number of benefits to operators:
- Increased Service Agility: By providing automated, multi-layer service provisioning and performance monitoring via a single interface, Blue Planet MCP improves service assurance and gives operators end-to-end control of network services. It also provides multi-layer network management, making it possible for Ciena customers to rapidly deploy new services and increase revenue opportunities.
- Unified Lifecycle Operations: Blue Planet MCP integrates management and planning in a single web-based client interface that provides advanced visualization to help network operators better understand inter-functional relationships between network elements, multiple network layers, and the services that are running across them. This greatly improves communication and coordination across departments.
- Open and Extensible Architecture: Blue Planet MCP offers open APIs that allow for quick integration with current and planned business and operations support systems (B/OSS), software-defined orchestration and network function virtualization (NFV) systems. Its elastic scalability and modular micro-services capabilities can also support operators’ internal DevOps teams that want to extend the solution and introduce additional use cases or applications.
- Blue Planet MCP software will also be accessible to customers, third party developers, and partners through the Ciena Emulation Cloud, which allows open testing of Blue Planet MCP’s REST API interfaces to third party network components, and rapid solution integration.
- Blue Planet MCP will work alongside Ciena’s existing OneControl Network Management platform, as needed, and be generally available in June 2017 for specific applications.
- “Network operators are burdened with multiple, separate management tools that are time-consuming, operationally complex and error-prone, which often translates to slow service turn-up and an inability to integrate new technologies for end customers. Blue Planet MCP promises to enable the transformation to real-time, scalable software-defined networking.”
- Jennifer Pigg Clark, Vice President, Network Research, 451 Group
- “Blue Planet MCP is a strategic shift from traditional monolithic network management software. Our customers are thirsty for a unifying operations solution that can bring all elements together from a network and service management perspective in order to deliver an exceptional user experience. Now with an offering that combines an easy-to-use web-based interface with field-proven Ciena platforms we advance our unique position to help operators prepare for today’s complex and evolving networks.”
- Nirav Modi, Vice President and General Manager, Blue Planet, Ciena
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(877) 243 6273