What is Network Analytics?
Networks are fundamentally important to most businesses these days, so understanding how the network is functioning is critical—not just for technical peace of mind, but for the operation of the business itself. As a result, network operators are looking to utilize analytics to gain a deeper understanding of the network—enabling them to make smarter, data-driven decisions about their businesses. Network analytics, in its simplest definition, involves the analysis of network data and statistics to identify trends and patterns.
In today’s world, using data in the right way is the next step in network transformation. When combined with orchestration and policy, network analytics enables network operators to intelligently automate the network and also provides a path to the more autonomous networks of the future. Intelligent automation and self-managing network capabilities are becoming increasingly important with the rise of IoT and machine-to-machine communications.
The deep insight gained from network analytics gives providers and their customers the ability to focus on what’s most important to grow their businesses, like:
- Anticipating potential network and service disruptions before they occur
- Creating and launching services that provide the highest returns
- Determining better business forecasts for capacity planning
- Guaranteeing the highest level of network performance for customers’ mission-critical applications
Ciena’s Blue Planet Analytics (BPA) uses advanced big data analytics, machine learning innovations, and an open architecture to enable intelligent automation and operations for today’s increasingly dynamic and virtualized networks. It has two components: the robust and flexible BPA computational framework, and our first upper-layer analytics application designed to work with BPA, Network Health Predictor (NHP). The two are optimized to be deployed together and can be combined with other Blue Planet software components such as multi-domain and NFV orchestration. They can also be integrated into existing software environments.
Features and benefits of Blue Planet Analytics
- Simplifies data collection across multiple data sources using Blue Planet Resource Adapter (RA) technology
- Offers computational scale and accuracy through a robust framework that includes advanced processing libraries such as machine learning and data streaming
- Provides automated, data-driven network control through integration with actionable systems like Blue Planet Multi-Domain Service Orchestrator (MDSO), OneControl Unified Management System, or third-party systems
- Enables a path toward intelligent, autonomous networks when combined with orchestration, policy, and control
- Offers enriched support and collaborative development through the Blue Planet DevOps Toolkit and DevOps Exchange
Features and benefits of Network Health Predictor
- Delivers proactive network assurance through intelligent assessments of the likelihood of failures in the network before they impact customers
- Supports advanced visualization and deep insights
- Provides vendor- and technology-agnostic capabilities across the optical, Ethernet, and IP layers
- Improves network reliability and eliminates costly disruptions